Monday, January 9, 2012

Too XYZ Classic: I Hate Dating

In some ways, this post from June 10, 2010 is one of the most "Ty" posts in this entire blog. Few things in life have been as consistent for me as a hatred of the whole dating scene. In the 18 months or so since I originally published this, my views have not been tempered much. That is to say I may find myself able to enjoy one or two standard "getting to know you dates" in the course of an entire year. And that is only a maybe. Yet the lion's share of this post's sentiments remain in tact. I still despise conventional dating. The games. The unfair judgement. The standards for a partner so lofty they border on indecent. The hoops of fire through which I am to jump in order to make the "correct" impression on the drill sergeant that is my date. (Assuming I haven't scorched my manhood during said leap and lost all interest in such things by that point.)

Until dating changes, or until women who run the dating circuit like it's an Olympic event become less dismissive of guys like myself, (not rich, not tall, average looks) I will stick to actually relating to people, and making sure people relate to the real me. Not the "dating me".

2 comments:

Random Girl said...

I can relate to some parts of this a little too well! I have been dating on and off for several years and for the most part, have had good dates. Not a connection with everyone obviously, that would get exhausting, but overall nothing that has scarred me too much either.
I got some good advice after my divorce and it was to date with the purpose of learning something about myself on each date. So even if the date is tragic, It's still a win.

Ty Unglebower said...

I have never thought of it in terms of getting to know a different part of myself. That's rather insightful. I admit I don't know if it is enough to get me passed the aspects of it that drive me crazy, but certainly food for thought.